So it's been awhile since I've posted anything here..but I promise, I'll be better! We left off at Windsor Castle, right? O.k. That week Jim and Julie (Dan's dad and sister) came for one day before they all left for Ireland the next day. I think they came on Wednesday and left for Ireland on Thursday morning. For 2 days it was just me, Dan and Alena. We didn't do much. That Friday, we went to Ireland to join Jim, Michel, and Julia in Dublin. Alena didn't do too well on that flight. It was only an hour and 10 minutes, but we had virtually no room at all to maneuver. I was sandwiched between Dan with Alena on his lap and this crabby, plump British woman who wouldn't relent the arm rest as she read her Hollywood trash magazine.
Anway, we got to Dublin in one piece and rented a van. Dan drove for 3 days on the wrong (or right..depending on which country you're from) side of the road. We headed for Tipperary which is where Charles Kickham resided. (Michel's maiden name is Kickham, and Chuckie was her great-great uncle.) Along the way there were several ruins of abbeys and friaries to explore. From there we went to Killarney and stayed in a bay town called Glengarriff. We went horseback riding in Killarney (which was awesome!) and drove the Ring of Beara. Besides driving on crazy narrow mountain roads, my favorite part of that was getting stuck behind cows on the road as they were being herded. At the farthest point of the Ring of Beara, there is an island that you can get to by cable car where 10 people actually live. They have to go by cable car to get groceries, gas, or anything else! Ireland was gorgeous. I loved the landscape and the English that was barely recognizable. (If you've ever seen Brad Pitt's character in Snatch you know what I mean.) It is definitely a place I would like to return to.
After missing our flight back to London, we finally got back here Monday night and met my mom who was already here. She arrived Monday morning and we arranged for her to be picked up and let in our flat. We ate dinner and went to bed. The next day, it was business as usual for Dan as he went to work. My mom and I woke up and got ready at our leisure and headed off to Kensington Gardens and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I'll let her tell who she wants to about that. We got home and met Dan after he got off work and rested for a day. Jim, Michel and Julie came back and my mom's sister, Judy, her friend Carla and her daughter Jenny came also. We went to London Bridge, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. We then went for a quick run past Trafalgar Square and ate in the Crypt of St. Martin's in the Fields. We headed towards Big Ben and it began to rain...a lot. We then headed for sanctuary in the Westminster Abbey. After an hour and a half in there, it still hadn't stopped raining, so we went as fast as we could back by the Horse Guard's Palace, Buckingham Palace and through parks to get back here. We warmed up by Starbucks and unloaded in our flat. Mom made fried chicken with mashed potatoes...it was great!!! Our flat was packed with me, Alena, Dan, Jim, Michel, Julia, Judy, Jenny, Carla, and my mom.
The next day, we took the bus to Liverpool where my mom and her side of the family was going to see Paul McCartney in concert on Sunday. We took the Magical Mystery Tour and I learned a lot about the Beatles. I knew virtually nothing about them before. Must be a generational thing. :)
Since then, everybody's gone, and Dan works during the day and Alena and I sightsee and go for walks. I've gone to the parks, Portobello market, the British Museum and today, the Tate Modern-A modern art gallery. I won't lie, it's a little lonely with no one here during the day, but yesterday I found a glint of hope. I picked up a sketch book and some pencils and started drawing again. My dad is going to be sending me some watercolors and paper and I'll work on some art work again for the first time, really, since high school. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. It's a whole lot more entertaining than TV and it's the perfect diversion during Alena's naps. Oh yeah, Alena has also hit a few milestones over the last few weeks as well. She can now roll over, has 2 teeth, can sit up unassisted, has eaten some finger foods on her own, gives "kisses," and I realized she has figured out the walker when I put her on the tile floor. There will be more to come as our London adventure continues.
1 comment:
Alright I am all caught up! I love your pictures! They are all so crisp and well thought out. Sounds like you are having a blast! Take care!
Kim
Post a Comment