Thursday, July 10, 2008

A new one!

I've been yelled at for not writing for almost a month...so I'm writing in the proverbial corner. This last month has been great! The sightseeing time has dwindled noticeably, but a whole bunch of relaxation has taken its place.
Recently, Dan's sister Becky and her friend Jennifer came here for the week before the 4th of July. When they got here, I became the tour guide again. We saw all of the typical sights: The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, ate lunch in the crypt, the London Eye, etc. We also took a day trip out to see Stonehenge. The train was very nice and roomy and it only took about an hour and a half to get there. Once we were there, we paid for a tour bus to take us through the town of Salisbury and on to the Stonehenge sight. I know Stonehenge is this ancient wonder of the world shrouded in history and mystery, and blah blah blah---but if I must be honest, the most exciting part of the trip for me was seeing a hare hopping through the center of it. I've never seen an actual hare before; not a rabbit or a bunny, but a hare. They are much taller and lankier. I could picture it with horns on its head...like a jack-a-loupe.
Soon after Stonehenge, Becky and Jennifer went to Ireland for a few days. When they got back, they were so tired that they offered to babysit Alena while Dan and I had a date...by ourselves...with no baby....no stroller...no diapers...no making bottles....heaven! Dan surprised me with Lion King tickets!!! I was so stoked! During the first song, the one with all the animals gathering around pride rock and Rafiki hoists the baby Simba up, I cried. For those who know me well...I CRIED! It was the best date I have ever been on. After the show we ate at this little real-Italian restaurant where our waiter told us all about how he can't wait to move to Miami. We get a lot of that here, people who wish they lived in America. Interesting. Interesting how the liberal media tells us that the rest of the world hates us because of our politics when people we have talked to would do anything to live in the U.S. of A. Sorry for the political side-note.
Anyway, the night after one of the best nights of my life, we spent the 4th of July at some fellow Americans abode. We had BBQ with Sweet Baby Ray's, and laughed and talked. Minus the fireworks, it was a great 4th of July in norther London. We were supposed to go on Sunday to another 4th bash, but it got rained out. :(
That night, Becky, Jennifer and I went to Harrod's to do some much needed shopping. I got Alena a Harrod's bear that she bodyslams and this incredible "chocolate cream liquer." It's heaven in a bottle. It is a liquer, but it is so good it would taste good over ice cream. It's from Vom Fass which sells different liquers, scotch, rum, vinegar, and oils in specialty bottles. After that we ate at the Globe where we sampled Pimm's-a summer drink here. If you like mint leaves, you'll like Pimm's with lemonade. A random Londoner came to our table and asked what we liked best about London, and Becky had the best reply: "That it's so close to Ireland.."
Ever since they left, I've just been pretty chill. My focus has been on Dan and Alena and all the new things that she does. She has gotten one top tooth now with the same one on the other side ready to break through. She has also started to "dance." She shakes her head back and forth, and if she's laying down her butt goes the opposite direction. She has begun to wave, blow kisses and hold her arms out wide for, "Soooooo Big!" It's amazing that when a 7 month old makes a kiss-noise, the world stops and nothing is more important.
So I have a month left in London. I don't want to leave Dan for those last 5 weeks, but I do have to admit that I am ready to come home. Ready to come home to BBQ's, warm weather, swimming, driving, and to get my personal bubble back while in public. Turns out we're not quite city people.

No comments: