Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cold and rainy






So the Friday and today, have been wet and cold...pretty typical London weather I guess. Yesterday, Alena, Michel and I went to Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace. The park was gorgeous. The pictures you see of the flowers and trees were from there. By far, it was my favorite park I have visited so far. The serpentine snakes through the park and from what I've gathered was put in by one of the queens/kings.
Kensington Palace isn't so much of a palace as it is just a really big house. The ceilings and doorways were massive and the valuable artwork and craftsmanship by William Kent was amazing. They also had a collection of Princess Diana's famous dresses on display. It was really neat to see how they made "court-wear." The layers of clothes and impracticality of them made me appreciate that I can wear a tank top and some jeans! Alena did okay there. She talked the whole way through the tour, and when we got to the bottom of these marble and ivory stairs built by William III, we had to stop for a bottle break. At the gift shop, I bought Alena her very own tiara and scepter. She's the princess now! (I'll take some pictures of her in them later.)
Today we went to Camden Town. It's basically a big flea market with "for real" Dr. Martens for sale everywhere. Perhaps the weirdest thing I saw for sale there were a pair of combat boots with foam soles that were about 4" high that had springs inside them. I thought they looked weird but fun if they really bounced! Tomorrow we're planning on taking a day trip to Windsor and I'm sure I'll have a load of pictures from the castle and maybe even Legoland if we get there.

No comments: